de Taos is an ancient pueblo
belonging to a Taos
(Northern Tiwa) speaking Native American
tribe of Pueblo
It is approximately 1000 years old and lies about 1
mile north of the modern city of Taos, New Mexico. The Red
or Rio Pueblo de Taos
(also called Rio Pueblo), is a small stream which flows through the
middle of the pueblo from its source in the Sangre de Cristo Range. The
inhabitants use this as their sole source of drinking water.
Taos Pueblo's most prominent architectural
feature is a multi-storied
residential complex of reddish-brown adobe,
divided into two parts by the Rio Pueblo. It was probably built between
1000 and 1450 A.D. It was
designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, and in 1992 became a
World Heritage Site.
As of 2006, about 150 people live in it full-time.
The present San Geronimo, or St. Jerome,
Chapel was completed in 1850 to replace the original church which was
destroyed in the War with Mexico by the U.S. Army in 1847.